The premier audio company, Beats by Dr. Dre has collaborated with renowned DJ and record producer, David Guetta to create a product that specifically targets DJ or disc spinners. A headset that will encompass the properties of DJ headset such as ear cups that swivel, separates the din or noise from the outside environment while simultaneously mixing sounds from different sources in a compact and lightweight frame. Incorporating this properties, they have successfully came up with the Beats Mixr On Ear Headphones. With extensive input from David Guetta himself who uses headphones almost every day and technology from Beats by Dr. Dre, the Beats Mixr is touted to be the perfect world class headphone for DJS and music lovers alike.
Beats by Dr. Dre boasts that this pair of headphones are the “lightest and loudest headphones ever” with 40mm drivers powering them. With the Beat insignia embossed on these, you would expect that the bass would be thrust into the limelight overpowering the rest of the other sound frequencies but with these headphones, the bass is deep, powerful but not to the extent that it cuts out the other frequencies. There is a degree of separation between the bass but it still provides clear mids, crisp highs, and pleasant sounding treble which makes it sound better to some extent than other Beats generations such as Beats Solo or Beats Studio. It allows for a delightful listening experience not just to hip hop, R&B, Techno, Electronica, etc… that this are specifically designed for but also for other more mellow types of music genres. In terms of sound isolation, it does not completely block out sound and there is a moderate amount of sound leakage at 50% volume but not to the extent that it should annoy your seatmate or neighbor. Mostly these are designed in a way that the music flowing from this headphones can still be heard even at the loudest parties.
Design and Build
One thing can be said about Beats by Dr. Dre products is that their headphones are stylish and well built. They are great looking and extremely well packaged and the Beats Mixr are no exception.
- It comes in different colors that you would never run out of choices: the original black and white, color Mixr: Blue, Green, Yellow, Indigo, Sky Blue, Pink, and neon Mixr: Neon Blue, Neon Green, Neon Orange, Neon Yellow, and Neon Pink.
- A combination of metal and high quality plastic with matte finish –to help fight off fingerprint smudges and with the materials it is made out of you can be assured that it is sturdy and well built.
- Slim with minimal padding with memory foam and is coated with rubber – so that it does not fall off when you’re doing a little head bang or rocking out.
- Flexible and adjustable – you can adjust to the desired length.
- Ear padding – sufficiently padding to cushion the ears.
- Ear cups
- Each ear cups fold 90 degrees forward, and for DJ-style listening, folds backwards right up into the headband – folds nice and compact for easy storage
- Swivel in order to find the right fit and seal to get the best sound quality.
- Properly labelled with (R) for right and (L) for left – distinguish which earcup goes to which ear.
- Embossed with the lowercase b on the outside of the earcups with metallic brush stroke – stylish and sleek.
- Each ear cup has a port that can act as an input/output port for the audio jack.
- Carry case
- Hard shell to protect the headphones from dings and scratches.
- Zippered to prevent the case from suddenly opening and the headphones falling out.
- Stylish and well built –matches the color scheme of the headphones themselves.
- Inner lining is soft and has an extra flap for accessories.
- Comes with 2 cables: 1 straight cable with in line Control Talk – allow the user to take control of their mobile devices and one coiled cable – to prevent the cable from snapping off if pulled accidentally.
- The cables are thick and of high quality.
- 5mm to 6.3mm jack adapter – compatible with any device.
- Dual ports – each earpiece has a port that can act as input or output port. No matter what side the jack is connected to, the other would act as an output port to connect another headphone and allow the user to share audio files and movies.
- Perfect for DJs – the ear cups swivel a full 180 degrees for monitoring while still listening to audio tracks or mixes.
- Stylish and impeccable design with different colors to choose from – could appeal to the younger target generation as well.
- Well-built made of durable and sturdy materials.
- Ear cups tend to have a strong clamping force – tends to be a bit uncomfortable when worn for long periods and can cause ear fatigue.
The Beats Mixr is perfect for the target market – DJ and casual listening. You get a pair of headphones that would sounds great and can be heard even over rave parties and rowdy crowds plus it’s a fun looking pair of headphones that looks gorgeous and stylish. The price range might not be for everyone and the clamping force can be a bit tight but overall this could be worn anywhere even while commuting for a few hours at a time and you will be able to hear great sound quality with different music genres especially with hip hop and R&B.